With over 700 million active monthly users, Instagram offers a very unique opportunity for businesses to reach their target audiences through ad campaigns. The other major advantage to advertising on Instagram is that the ads can look almost no different to normal posts, which in turn makes them less obtrusive than other forms of ads.
With that said, it’s important to make sure your ads are set up correctly. This step by step guide below will help you set up a campaign geared for success.
- Set up your account to access on Instagram
In order to create ads on Instagram, you will have to link you Instagram account to your page on Facebook. For this step follow these instructions:
- Sign in to your page
- Go to Settings
- Select Instagram Ads and link your Instagram account.
- When synchronized, your account should appear like this:
- Verify that you have access to Instagram Ads through Ads Manager or the Power Editor.
All accounts have the Instagram Ads option enabled, to confirm it, go to the location of your ad sets and then you will see Instagram as another place.
- How to create ads on Instagram
To create Instagram ads, you will have to use the Power Editor. Then follow these steps to creating your ad campaign.
- Select the option to create a new campaign and choose your goals for the ads in Instagram: more traffic to your site, conversions or video visualizations.
- Define the name of your ad set and select the “Create Button”
- Select the ad sets section and click the edit option. When this page opens you will have to:
- Define or modify the name of your ad set
- Confirm the “location” of your ads. This is where you choose Instagram.
To create a campaign only in Instagram, you will have to mark only the Instagram platform.
- Configure the conversion
- Define the budget and duration
- Define your audience by country, age, interests, etc
- Define your optimization method.
- After choosing the basic settings, you will then need to click “create an ad”. Give this a name.
- Go to your Facebook page (the one that is associated with your Instagram account) and go to Instagram ads
- Define the call link to the call-to-action button
- Write the text of your ad. You have 300 characters to use. Keep in mind Instagram recommends that your ad text should not exceed 150 characters.
- Upload the image of your ad – ideal format 1080px X 1080px
- Select the call-to-action you want from the list provided by the Power Editor
- Lastly, add the tracking pixel.
- Once this is completed select the green upload button above so that your campaign is uploaded to the Power Editor and then submitted to FB / IN validation.
- Here are key practices to consider when creating your Instagram ad.
- Square format works better than rectangular format – use 1080px X 1080px.
- The minimum measure for horizontal ads is 600px X 315px and 600px X 600px for square ads.
- Only 20% of the image can be text.
- Create different ads for the same campaign, this will allow you to discover which style your audience prefers and which one is more effective.
- Add calls to action on your ad
- Videos on Instagram cannot be more than 30 seconds long and can’t exceed 30MB
Advertising on Instagram will continue to evolve and improve in the coming years. Although social media advertisement is still an integral part of any digital marketing campaign, for the best results, it should be used along with other methods like SEO services, Google Ads and Email Marketing.
To conclude, it is easy to invest a lot in advertising on Instagram, however if your account does not have quality content, great images and if you don’t post regularly you should not expect results quickly. You will still need to spend time developing your Instagram account and then you can use the ads to help develop the account further.